What is the role of the Solicitor?

To serve as a minister of justice in the fair and diligent prosecution of citizens charged with criminal offenses occurring in Richland and Kershaw Counties.

When is my court date?

Your court date will depend upon the reason you are coming to court. Information concerning your 1st Appearance should be listed on your bond paperwork. View the Trial Dockets.

What do I need to prepare for my court date?

The first step is to either speak with a private attorney or if you cannot afford a private attorney, apply for an attorney with the Public Defender’s Office.

I had my first appearance. What’s next?

Stay in regular contact with your attorney so that you can discuss your options prior to your second appearance date.

What happens if I don’t show up for court?

A bench warrant could be issued for your arrest.

Can you provide me legal advice?

Employees of the Solicitor’s Office are prohibited from answering legal questions or offering legal advice.

I’m the defendant in a criminal case. Can I speak with the prosecutor?

No. Prosecutors are prohibited from talking to criminal defendants who are represented by attorneys. Please contact your attorney if you have questions about your case.

Do I qualify for a diversion program?

There are various diversion programs available and qualifications differ. See our various Diversion Programs and qualifications for each.

What do I do if I witness a crime?

Dial 9-1-1 or Crimestoppers (1-888-CRIME-SC/1-888-274-6372).

Who should I call if I’m in an emergency?

For immediate emergencies, please dial 911.

How can I get my criminal record expunged?

Learn which convictions can be expunged and how to apply for Expungement.

I want to file a complaint about a police officer or deputy sheriff. Can the Solicitor’s Office help me?

No. You’ll need to report the matter to the law enforcement officer’s employing agency. That agency is required by law to receive a complaint, investigate the matter, and respond to the complaining party.

General Sessions Court Information

Access trial dockets, court rosters, and more on the General Sessions Court page.

General Sessions Court Information